Friday, March 12, 2010

beginning after the end

So here I go, finally taking the step to create a blog. The pressure is on for my first post. I suppose I could begin with a purpose, which is to create some kind of documentation of my day to day life in the city of Calgary. Living downtown, there are so many influences around me it can sometimes be overwhelming. Contrary to widespread belief, culture DOES exist in Calgary. The cliched and stale term cowtown definitely needs to be overlooked. Have you ever actually seen someone wear a cowboy hat during nonstampede season? Although I know there are many cities around the world that are known for their artistic citizens, famous streets and stylish atmospheres, I've walked the streets of Calgary (when it's not bloody FREEZING) and noticed that individuality does exist. Seriously! 17th ave, Kensington, Inglewood, Chinatown, Art Central, Fashion Central, Stephen Ave are just to name a few popular spots. Not only this, but Calgary has a surplus of trendy eaterys and chillspots that need to be recognized. So I guess you could say this documentation will be a mixture of a lot of things or perhaps a guide to get out there and experience the city. It will feature influence from stylish calgarians, current events, places to go, and mayyyybbeeee some personal opinions and insights on the side. Forget the mainstream bars, forget Ed Hardy, forget $500 jeans. Let's get real and explore individuality.


No comments:

Post a Comment